Monday, May 5, 2008

2 hrs 23 mins well spent!

Who knew it was truly possible? I was a doubter myself until the very end. I set a goal for the Half Marathon of 2 and 1/2 hours. I DID IT!!!!! That's right folks, I ran it in 2 hrs and 23 mins. The highlight of it all, besides crossing the finish line in one piece, was having my son and brother there to greet me at the end. Wesley even made it there before I crossed the finish line to cheer me on. Jake told me he was proud of me with the greatest amount of sincerity. That made my day! I recommend to anyone else out there who wants to run in a marathon, full or half, truly train for it.
It's a lot like having a baby in my mind. As you go through your pregnancy you do what everyone tells you to do and follow the experts advise. You are just trying to be as prepared as possible without really knowing what to expect. Then as you start the actual process of labor, it's not totally unbearable, although you still aren't sure what you got yourself into. By the time you get to the point where you want to quit or go back, it's too late for that, you've got to keep going. Before you know it, the pain and misery is over and you made! You have a sense of accomplish and wonder. You still aren't sure how it all happened and how you survived but you did! Then you take some time to rest and recupe. Granted, you aren't ready to go out and do it all over again the next day, but you know you'll be up for it again in the future. This time around you'll know how to really prepare and truly know what to expect.
I was out there to show myself that I really could do it. I had the best of intentions to train appropriately and I will next time. It was also for all my friends who work hard everyday and meet their goals one step at a time. Nothing is too great or too small not to be proud of it. Keep up the good work and we've got to continue to be there for one another. Never underestimate the power of an encouraging word. Sometimes all it takes is someone saying you can do it and they'll be right there with you. I've got a renewed sense of motivation and I'm going to start taking my fitness more seriously. I've got to enjoy it while I can! If you don't use it you lose it!

2 comments:

Karrie said...

Way to go! I am so impressed. You have encouraged me to get back to running. I almost want to say: I will run it with you next year. But I am not that brave yet. Instead we should train for something smaller. But I call you for my team in any upcoming races we have to do. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't think I'll ever run 3 miles, let alone 13. Way to go! I wish I didn't hate running pretty much more than everything else. Anyway, that's quite an accomplishment!